It’s springtime, and that means it’s time to reconnect the garden hose. You should have winterized it, so you will need to turn on the shutoff valve to supply water to the pipe again.
When you do that, you should check to make sure there are no leaks in the line. Doing this is simple if you have a water meter.
- Turn off everything else in the house.
- Check the meter to make sure the red triangle is not moving.
- Turn on the shutoff valve to the hose.
- Check the red triangle on the meter again.
- If the red triangle is moving, you have a leak.
- Check the hose bib first for visual signs of a leak.
Since the hose is connected outside the house, it is the most prone to cracking. Since these pipes are exposed, it makes it easier to locate and repair the leak.